Re: What's the largest Oracle DB a PC can host?????/

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 20:17:53 GMT

Richard Hollingsworth wrote:

> Hi folks. I know this is an esoteric question, but I need help.
>
> I've been asked to evaluate and make recommendations for our next DB and
> it's a big one. We don't know the eventual size, but it COULD top 20 TB
> easily.
>
> Management wants to save $$$ and use PC servers. I'm no PC expert, but I
> really don't think even the largest, fastest PC server on the market would
> be able to handle that effectively.
>
> Am I wrong? Can the latest PC servers with massive disk arrays, multiple
> processors, and gigs of memory handle a DB of that size effectively?
>
> It will be a web-based logistics DB for the ARMY if that helps.
>
> Thank you for any input at all.
>
> Richard Hollingsworth
> BOEING
Contact John W. Cline ... you will find him in Exchange.

Likely he will tell you the same thing I am now and would have when I was there ... Teradata if it is a warehouse ... Oracle if it is OLTP. Though from the size of it I think Teradata is your answer. The company has quite a few machines, has in-house expertise, and compatibility with other system's is assured.

I know management wants to save money ... that's why I'm no longer there as a consultant <g>. But they will spend substantially more using bubble-gum and paperclips to put together some untested system that will BSOD on them. Tell them if they don't believe me that I am awaiting new of when DCAC finally comes fully on-line.

Daniel Morgan Received on Thu Jun 06 2002 - 15:17:53 CDT