Re: maximum size of an extent

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 6 Jun 2002 07:27:32 -0700

"GR" <guy.rodesch_at_cie.etat.lu> wrote in message news:<3cff2644_2_at_news.vo.lu>...
> Hello,
> We use Oracle 8.1.7.2 as the database of our SAP R/3 46C system. Could we
> limit the maximum size of an extent in the init<SID>.ora configuration file?
>

> Thanks in advance,
> Guy.

There is no such init.ora parameter; however, if you create your tablespaces using local uniform extent management then you can make every extent in the tablespace one size. Storage clause parameters, if provided on the table or index create, are ignored in this case. If you go with autoallocate then the largest extent size I am sure Oracle will use is 64M, but it may well go larger as some posters think they have managed to produce 256M in testing (but did not have test results to check for verification). The current algorithm requires the object to take 200 extents before it switches to using 64M.

If you are using dictionary managed space then I suggest you set pctincrease to 0 and use max_extents to limit the object size. You can monitor the extent count in dba_segments and manually allocate a large next extent that will fit in the target tablespace, while you consider conversion to local space management or just trying to standard the object extent sizes to minimize free space fragmentation under Dictionary management.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Thu Jun 06 2002 - 09:27:32 CDT