Newbie - General Questions

From: bbitzer <bbitzer_at_tripower.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 08:15:57 -0400

I works with and program in Access but want to learn Oracle. I am reading a book on SQL*Plus and then one on PL/SQL to begin my self education. I installed the CD Pack of Oracle 8i Enterprise on my computer and had it create the default DB. Now I created another DB with a new name. It took a couple of hours while while the Database Configuration Assistant did most (all) of the work. I now have two DB's.One (the original) I log onto with a username and password by the CREATE USER... DEFAULT TABLESPACE users
TEMPORARY TABLESPACE Temp ....

fine, the second DB is still System/Manager

My questions are:
1. Do I need to create a different logon for each DB?

2. What is the Host (Connect) String and how do I apply one if needed?

3. How do I create different DB files (like in Acces ie. QTAX.mdb, TRS.mdb) without having to create an entire new Oracle Database (or am I understanding it wrong)?

bottom line is that I want to understand how to create and/or manage different files, amd/or different databases. Any information, even if only to one questions is a geat help. Thank you. Received on Wed Jun 05 2002 - 07:15:57 CDT