Re: oracle 9i connection string with SYS account

From: Knut Talman <knut.talman_at_mytoys.de>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 11:16:09 +0200

> Well, Knut was right about 1 thing, this isn't SQL Server. I'm trying to
get
> my application to work with Oracle. It already supports SQL Server. I have
> script to fill my database with some stuff. But first I want to create a
> database of course. Now in SQL Server it works like this: You log on to
the
> master database with Integrated Security (O/S security) From there I can
> create a database and create users etc. etc. Only thing I want to know is
> how to do this in Oracle.

You connect to _the_one_and_only_database_ and create your users. That's all. Of course you can have more than one database but I think that's not what you want.
Either you create a privileged user who has the permission to create users or you use SYSTEM, but I wouldn't recommend that.

> Granting DBA to a user compromises your system, I agree. What Oracle does,
> making things much more complicated than necessary compromises your system
> even more!

I disagree.

Regards,

Knut Received on Wed Jun 05 2002 - 04:16:09 CDT