Re: oracle 9i connection string with SYS account

From: Bertus Dam <b.dam_at_gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 09:33:54 +0200

Well, Knut was right about 1 thing, this isn't SQL Server. I'm trying to get my application to work with Oracle. It already supports SQL Server. I have a script to fill my database with some stuff. But first I want to create a database of course. Now in SQL Server it works like this: You log on to the master database with Integrated Security (O/S security) From there I can create a database and create users etc. etc. Only thing I want to know is how to do this in Oracle.

Granting DBA to a user compromises your system, I agree. What Oracle does, making things much more complicated than necessary compromises your system even more!

"John Claxton" <johnclaxton_at_advi.net> wrote in message news:24b644513f7f28c238af97e96970c1ee.96068_at_mygate.mailgate.org...
> Tojo,
> What privileges are granted depends entirely on what the user
> will be doing once they're connected to the database. Roles are
> collections
> of privileges and other roles.
> Typically you bundle up a bunch of privileges (say for the FIN schema
> and a subset of objects ... those involved with PAY) and create a role
> with all those privileges. Then you grant that role to the user.
> jc
>
> "tojo" <TomJordanTojo_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> > In article <3CFCD6F5.1D40219A_at_exesolutions.com>,
> > dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com says...
> > > The first thing I do to a
> > > new database after changing the SYS and SYSTEM passwords is drop
CONNECT and