Re: Reducing redolog switch frequence

From: John Claxton <johnclaxton_at_advi.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 23:45:20 +0000 (UTC)

100 redo logs per hour (translates into 100 archive logs if you're archiving)
is a lot to recover from. If there was a media failure, in a 24 hour period
(assuming equal load), you'd have 2,400 archive logs to apply. Ouch. Lets hope
they're all good!
I believe you're on the right track, and the other posts give good suggestions
(like larger redo logs) that should help. This won't cut down on the hard disk I/O.
It will reduce the number of redo log switches. If you're writing 1,000MB
of redos per hour, you'll write them in 10MB chunks or in 500MB chunks. But you'll still write them. You may need to do some tuning on the database.
I'd start with the application. Some alternatives were given in other posts.
If the database is badly out of tune, you may get 10% to 15% back with just
database tuning efforts. I've seen 45minute jobs drop to under 10seconds
with application tuning. Hint. Hint.
Good luck.
jc
johnclaxton_at_networkessentials.com