Re: Naming conventions?

From: John Claxton <johnclaxton_at_advi.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 23:25:28 +0000 (UTC)

Tintin:

        Standards are great - everyone should have one!

        I've worked for small to medium sized Oracle shops where there were (literally) standards of the day. Result: the same attribute named several
different ways throughout the database. ie ORDER_NUMBER, ORDER_ID, ORDER_CODE,
etc. A very *bad* way to have "standards".

        I've worked for one organization that was called "Oracle's second largest customer" by an Oracle contractor. Don't know exactly what that meant: most rows, most $$$, most instances, ??? They had a multi-volume document that detailed every object, how it was to be named, etc. Possibly
way overkill. Of the two approaches, I'd pick overkill. Of course, I'm a DBA and not a developer.

        Let's see ... Oracle runs on a couple of hunderd different platforms, in many different languages and character sets. Looks like a chance for you
to make a name for yourself. Come up with the one standard that will please
everyone and you'll be famous!

        Good luck.
jc