how do columns affect one another (theory question)?

From: Marc E <marc_e_at_cablespeed.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 20:39:32 -0700

Hi all,
  I have a database theory question. Let's say I have two columns: MyInteger and MyBlob.

The table contains 100,000 rows. If I run a select statement against just the MyInteger column, with no reference to any other table, do the contents of the MyBlob column affect the performance of my query?

Put another way, if I have 2 MB of MyInteger Data, and 1000 GB of MyBlob data, and I just want to get at some of the MyInteger data, does that 1000 GB of MyBlob data have any impact on my query?

Thanks for input.

Marc Received on Mon Jun 03 2002 - 22:39:32 CDT