Re: How to restore a cold backup?

From: Anthony Hogan <ahogan-nospam-_at_iespana.es>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 08:26:21 +0000

Alessandro,
I think you need to recreate the control files: Put the files on the new PC in whatever drive structure you have available (AFAIK a network drive will not work). Create the instance with oradim if necessary startup mount pfile = c:\...
alter database backup controlfile to trace shutdown
locate the trace file and modify the file entries to reflect the new file locations. Either remove the comments or replace the comment marker (#) with --. Save as control.sql
delete the control files
sqlplus> connect sys/pwd_at_sid as sysdba
sqlplus> @'control.sql'

Some of Howard Rogers' documents are available @ www.geocities.com/lydian_third.

hth
Anthony Hogan