Re: Naming conventions?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2002 12:40:06 -0700

Tintin wrote:

> Does anyone have a good naming convention for table, columns, indexes, etc.
> that I can use? From what I see, I don't think Oracle has one. I tried to
> make up my own, but came across some problems.
>
> Thank you.
>
> ~ !T

Everyone has one ... or ten.

My personal choice is to make it based on my ability to easily perform ORDER BY sorts when selecting from data dictionary tables and views. So, for example, I name primary keys PK_table_name rather than table_name_PK. But there is no universally recognized standard except within the confines of a single organization though there are probably a dozen reasonably well recognized, but rarely followed, syntaxes.

Wishing to not get involved in a religious war I will bow out now.

Daniel Morgan Received on Sun Jun 02 2002 - 14:40:06 CDT