9i installation config stumbling block ???

From: Skinnel3 <skinnel3_at_aol.com>
Date: 01 Jun 2002 14:16:25 GMT

Running windows-ME with dialup connection, but others I know running windows-98 with dialup connection have same problem:

after installation of oracle9i enterprise edition, the oracle installation wizard
brings up Net Configuration Assistant/ Local Net Service Name configuration windows, which prompts for 'connection to a known TNS service' or 'create service from scratch'.

Is there a specific known string which must be entered for default 'service
name' field in this setup? No matter which option I select, and no matter what I enter in the associated fields, the test of the connection at the end of configuration fails, producing error message "ORA-12541: TNS no listener". For this setup I use the default port 1521 and the known good hostname for my PC.

If I then go into Net Configuration Assistant/Listener configuration to try to remedy the error message from that angle, the default listener (named "LISTENER") is already configured, with TCP protocol and default port 1521. No matter what I enter for the listener name or fields, the local service net connection test still fails and I am not allowed to logon to sqlplus using the predefined user/password combinations system/manager and scott/tiger.

What do I need to do to make the local server/listener combination work together ??? I believe it might have something to do with PC settings associated with network or dialup connection and may not be resolvable totally from within the oracle config tools. Others with cable modem and time warner 'roadrunner' service do not run into this configuration problem during installation. I tried doing the installation with my dialup connection 'alive', but it made no difference.

thanks.
m.skinner Received on Sat Jun 01 2002 - 09:16:25 CDT