Re: Multi-target data modeller and schema generator

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 19:54:18 GMT

Jim Smith wrote:

> I am looking for a data modeller (ER diagrams +...) which can generate
> DDL for multiple DBMSs. Oracle and SQL Server are a must, but the more
> the merrier.
>
> A company I am doing some work for has a SQL Server based product that
> they want to make more portable. I am porting it to Oracle for them, and
> am also looking at general portability issues.
>
> If they are going to develop for and support the product on multiple
> databases, they need a degree of automation on database design which is
> where the tool comes in.
>
> I am aware of Erwin and ER/Studio but really need something cheaper.
> Open Source would be nice.
> Jim Smith
> Because of their persistent net abuse, I ignore mail from
> these domains (among others) .yahoo.com .hotmail.com .kr .cn .tw
> For an explanation see <http://www.jimsmith.demon.co.uk/spam/spam.html>

Get ERwin. You are either in business or not. And if the cost of ERwin is too high they're not serious.

But on the serious side ... if anyone thinks that reverse engineering something in Erwin, or for that matter any product, is going to make an application portable I'd advise updating your resume and cleaning out your desk before the rush.

Can it be done? Yes.
Can it be done successfully? No!

Daniel Morgan Received on Thu May 30 2002 - 14:54:18 CDT