W2k and Oracle Problem

From: P <PC_at_dsl.pipex.com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 20:57:39 +0100

Hi,

Hope somebody can help with this Weird windows 2000 problem.

I have a NT 4 domain with about 13 windows NT4 BDCs recently we upgraded one of these to Windows 2000 and so we now run in a mixed mode domain, we have had problems with a Oracle application that takes the Windows 2000\NT logon name and passes this through to the Oracle app and logs the user into a application. Problem is that this no longer works.

The NT username entered (we have a system that user name starts with F then a number so could F000 for example) is looked at by the GetUserName API and the details are fed to the Oracle app, but it appears that this app can only accept lower case usernames?? If a NT4 BDC validates the logon of the users Windows 2000 pro machine, and they have logged on as F000 (note uppercase F) then the API and the username variable see the user as f000 (note lowercase f) which looks like it forces this to be in lower case. While if the same user is validated by a 2000 DC and enters their username as F000 the username variable and API see the user as F000 (keeps the uppercase)?

We tried some further testing:

WHAT WE TRIED
Logon to wkstn(y) in lowercase
WHAT WE CHECKED
Domain Controller - W2KDC
Username returned by API - lowercase
COULD WE RUN Oracle App
Yes

WHAT WE TRIED
Logon to wkstn(y) in uppercase
WHAT WE CHECKED
Domain Controller - W2KDC
Username returned by API - uppercase
COULD WE RUN Oracle App
No

WHAT WE TRIED
Logon to wkstn(x) in lowercase
WHAT WE CHECKED
Domain Controller - W2KDC
Username returned by API - lowercase
COULD WE RUN Oracle App
Yes

WHAT WE TRIED
Logon to wkstn(x) in uppercase
WHAT WE CHECKED
Domain Controller - W2KDC
Username returned by API - uppercase
COULD WE RUN Oracle App
No

WHAT WE TRIED
Logon to wkstn(y) in lowercase
WHAT WE CHECKED
Domain Controller - NT4BDC
Username returned by API - lowercase
COULD WE RUN Oracle App
Yes

WHAT WE TRIED
Logon to wkstn(y) in uppercase
WHAT WE CHECKED
Domain Controller - NT4BDC
Username returned by API - lowercase
COULD WE RUN Oracle App
Yes

Anybody seen anything like this with Oracle before??

Hope somebody out there can help?

Many Thanks,

P Received on Wed May 29 2002 - 14:57:39 CDT