How to tell what users/schemas are in a DMP file

From: Anne Nolan <anolanNOSPAM_at_enabletech.com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 08:12:50 -0700

I work with Oracle 8i in a development environment, not production. We occasionally send DMP files (created with EXP) back and forth between different offices. One problem I've encountered is that often the person sending the dump forgets to state the user name(s) that the stuff in the dump file came from. I need to know this so that I can use the fromuser and touser parameters in IMP, as I'm usually importing to a different user name from what was exported.

I've found that I can open the DMP file in notepad and read the user name (most of these files just have one user/schema in them), but this would be a real pain for a really large DMP file.

Is there some option for the IMP utility or some other utility that reports the users represented in a DMP file? I've done some searching at google but haven't turned up anything yet. Maybe there's something simple that I've overlooked.

Thanks for any help on this.

Anne Received on Wed May 29 2002 - 10:12:50 CDT