How to restore a cold backup?

From: Alessandro Nazzani <alexnsb_at_tin.it>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 11:02:45 +0200

Dear all.

I have a "cold" backup (physical copy - after db shutdown - of all data files, control files, redo logs and init files) of a Oracle 8i db (WinNT 4.0).

Now I'd like to restore this backup on a new PC with Win2k Server.

Questions:

  1. Is it possible?

If yes:

2) Should I install Oracle on the new PC with the *exact* same parameters, names, etc. as the old db, or it doesn't really matter? 3) Does it matter if the drive letter where I install Oracle is not the same as the old db?
4) Can I simply Shutdown / Replace all the files of the new db with the corresponding file of the backup / Restart, or is it a bit more complex?

TIA for your attention.

Alessandro Received on Wed May 29 2002 - 04:02:45 CDT