Re: assigning PID to a service

From: Tim Cross <tcross_at_pobox.une.edu.au>
Date: 29 May 2002 08:34:47 +1000

johnm_at_3tm.net (John Malczewski) writes:

> How can I start a service with a specific PID. By default it's
> randomly generated. This is the same PID that shows up in Task
> Manager. Thanks anyone...

I would be amazed if there is an OS on the planet which would allow you to do this. The process id (PID) has to be unique and is generally handled by the kernel. To do this from within user space would be pretty much impossible - you would have to know which process ids are already in use and even more problematic, ensure that no other process is spawned somewhere else on the system which might possibly be given the same PID plus you would also have to let the OS know you have taken a particular process number. On a
multi-user/molti-tasking/multi-processor system, the only centralized point which could manage this sort of complexity is the kernel - certainly not a user process.

Sorry, but I think you need to re-work your problem and come up with an alternative solution.

Tim Received on Tue May 28 2002 - 17:34:47 CDT