ADO connection to ORACLE results in high memory usage

From: Stefan Mueller <stefan.mueller_at_htm.co.at>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 11:08:39 +0200

Hello,

When I create an ADODB Data Connection to an ORACLE 8.1.7 data source memory usage of the program (it is a Visual Basic routine - VB 6.0) which establishes connection rises quickly and enourmously (at this point I am establishing only the connection without doing something with it - e.g. creating a recordset, executing an SQL query). About 10 MB of memory are being allocated for the ADO connection. In addition the speed of the program appears slower to me since I moved my data from MS Access to ORACLE and use a connection to my ORACLE server.

I'm new to ORACLE - is this a commonplace or a configuration error? In general I use the default settings for my database only the charset is UTF-8 for my database and for the ODBC connection it is MSWIN1252.

Regards,
Stefan Müller Received on Mon May 27 2002 - 04:08:39 CDT