Re: Normalization, Natural Keys, Surrogate Keys

From: Jeffrey A. Williams <jeffwilliams_at_nctimes.net>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 09:29:33 -0700

To follow up a little more. In any healthcare situation - if you decide to use SSN's, how are you going to handle newborns? Need to get them in your system - but can't because they don't have an SSN yet - probably won't have one for at least six months.

Your users will assign a dummy SSN - 000-00-0001, but because you can't have duplicates, you can only track a single newborn, or you are going to have a mess of 'dummy' SSN's that somebody has to track and clean up.