Re: Help on 8.1.7 Personal Install on Windows 98

From: Cameron <chughes1_at_nyc.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 23:38:57 GMT

On Wed, 22 May 2002 23:54:17 +0200, "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:

>"Cameron" <chughes1_at_nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 22 May 2002 15:10:13 GMT, Daniel Morgan
>> <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote:

>> >This is common. I have found that sometimes it takes 2 or 3 attempts to
>> >get it to work.
>> >
>> >Be sure that the CD you have is compatible with Win98: Not all are.
>> >
>> >That is, perhaps, the price one pays for having a poor excuse for an
>> >operating system. I would suggest going to NT4 or Win2K.
>> >
>> >Daniel Morgan
>>
>> Dan,
>>
>> Anemic operating system aside, it is unfortunately what I'm stuck
>> with.
>>
>> This is definitely a Win98 Oracle install CD, so that's not the issue.
>> When you say it takes two or three attempts, do you mean trying to run
>> the Oracle Database Configuration Assistant two or three times? Or do
>> a full Oracle install two or three times? I tried running the
>> Assistant three times and got crashes each time. I remember full
>> re-installs being messy under NT4.0, not sure if it's any cleaner
>> under Windows 98. Are you recommending doing the actual Oracle
>> install again? If so, I'll certainly try it.
>>
>> Thanks for getting back to me.
>
>- Please define 'crashes' if you want someone to help you out
>- Please verify your system complies to the memory requirements. The dbca is
>written in Java, and Java is as you might know, memory hungry.
>- Please stop the crossposting. You don't get better responses, a bigger
>audience or whatever. You're only wasting bandwith and annoying people.
>
>Regards
>
>--
>Sybrand Bakker
>Senior Oracle DBA
>
>to reply remove '-verwijderdit' from my e-mail address

Crashes. The PC completely freezes up, becomes keyboard-unresponsive even to Ctrl-Alt-Del. On other attempts the PC goes to black screen (NOT blue screen) and dies without rebooting. This happens always when the empty DOS window pops up during the install, when the Oracle Database Configuration Assistant attempts to run. The same thing happens when running Oracle Database Configuration Assistant manually after rebooting the PC.

RAM is not a problem, I have 256MB. PC is an older Dell Dimension XPS D333, Intel Pentium II. Are there known problems with this model?

I have had the same trouble when installing 8.1.7 AND 8.1.6.