Re: Oracle Newbie question: Accessing and Deleting Data

From: Malcolm Dew-Jones <yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca>
Date: 22 May 2002 11:29:39 -0800

Robert Bollinger (robert_bollinger_at_hotmail.com) wrote:
: Hi -- I am trying to access the data in a database: DAILYDATA.DBF

I think you have a major misunderstanding here.

That doesn't look like oracle data. I suspect it's a data file from a dbase style database product on a PC.

: If I log on as System/manager I know I have access to the data but do
: not know how to go about doing it.

How do you know you have access to the data? (serious question, I'm not being facious) did someone tell you you did, or are you refering to the file permissions (perhaps on a VMS system (userid=system)), or are you just assuming/hoping that.

I suspect you are just assuming that, but in fact you need to use a dbase style product to directly access the data file.

You could also import the data into another database. One easy solution would be ms access ( I don't recommend it, I just know it works). You can import the file into ms access and then do what you need to do, and then either keep that database for later, or export the data back into a dbase format file.

: From the PLSQL prompt SQL> do you "use dailydata.dbf" set a workspace
: to access it? I know this is got to be simple for those in the know.
: Thanks.

The Oracle SQL> prompt can only access a database server, not individual data files.

If you want to get rid of the evidence then you could just delete the file, assuming it's not part of any backup. Received on Wed May 22 2002 - 14:29:39 CDT