Re: Oracle Newbie question: Accessing and Deleting Data

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 15:33:20 GMT

Robert Bollinger wrote:

> Hi -- I am trying to access the data in a database: DAILYDATA.DBF
>
> If I log on as System/manager I know I have access to the data but do
> not know how to go about doing it.
>
> From the PLSQL prompt SQL> do you "use dailydata.dbf" set a workspace
> to access it? I know this is got to be simple for those in the know.
> Thanks.
>
> I am actually trying to delete all the rows in that database. Please
> help.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Robbie Bollinger

You have truly frightened me. Your knowledge of Oracle is minimal so why or how or who would have given you access as System? This is lunacy. In fact this is so far from rational I'm not sure where to start. There is no such thing as accessing data in a database named anything.dbf. Data is stored in tables. Tables are located in tablespaces. Tablespaces consist of one or more datafiles. But no one ever access anything in a datafile directly. In fact how you even got the name of the datafile is a mystery. A datafile name is irrelevant.

If there is an Oracle DBA on site do the following: 1) Tell them to change the password for SYS and SYSTEM and to not give it to you, or anyone else, again
2) Have that person either give you a user-id and password so you can get to the data or create one for you
3) Then have them teach you how to do your job because a comment like "set a workspace" makes my blood run cold.

If there is no Oracle DBA try to understand that your posting translates roughly to ... "I have no idea what I am doing and have the potential to trash a database." Therefore:

  1. Log on a SYSTEM and run the following query: SELECT owner FROM dba_tables WHERE table_name = 'one_of_the_tables_you_are_looking_for';

If you don't have a specific table name I would suggest you find someone that can help you. If no one can provide a table name immediatgely get an outside consultant to come in and save you from whatever fate awaits.

2) Log on as the user that owns the tables and run your queries though I must confess from your posting I am concerned that you don't know how to do that.

3) Though this probably should have been the only suggestion ... find someone that knows what they are doing and get some immediate help.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but I have seen well meaning people, with more knowledge than you, destroy databases.

Daniel Morgan Received on Wed May 22 2002 - 10:33:20 CDT