Re: buying a database versus making one

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 22 May 2002 06:04:45 -0700

"Soda Badada" <lachine_at_speakeasy.org> wrote in message news:<ueluarhi7nnvef_at_corp.supernews.com>...
> Can anyone refer me to info that documents the cost buying a database versus
> making one?
>
> thnx
> Tim

I do not know where you would find would an article on this topic but I do remeber reading that the original version of Access cost Microsoft a million dollars to develop. Considering how much more complex a real multi-concurrent user database like Oracle is over Access then you are talking tens of millions of dollars to begin with and potentially over a hundred million for a full scale full featured product.

There are open source alternatives where much of the development cost is replaced by donated labor, but the only open source products I am aware of have serious limitations.

But the final answer will depend on what you mean by database and what you want to do with it.

You might try the comp.database.theory board.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Wed May 22 2002 - 08:04:45 CDT