Re: Migrate from 8.1.6 to 8.1.7 or to 9i

From: The Raven <wsmc_at_flashmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 15:11:37 +1000

"C Chang" <cschang_at_maxinter.net> wrote in message news:3CEB24FB.A46_at_maxinter.net...
> Never did this. ( our DBA left the company abruptly) I am looking the
> methods to migrate our 8.1.6 either to 8.1.7 or 9i . Which one is
> better? or easy? ( we already have 8.1.7 CDs) Need Help. any
> suggestion or direction is appreciated.

Like you, I was nominated the Oracle expert in our company despite never having dealt with it before.

Just this week I upgraded 8.1.5 to 8.1.7. It was relatively pain free. Just insert the 8.1.7 CD on the server and step through the initial screens it will eventually prompt to do a migration to the latest version.

Ensure it all migrates nicely (it should) and then restart Oracle etcl. Check you can log in with SQL*PLUS.

Do client upgrades for each client workstation and then test.

If you are nervous about this, as I was, select the backup option and make sure you have plenty of disk space. Oh, tell management that you take no responsibility if it screws up, it's their responsibility to have some form of DBA backup.

The Raven Received on Wed May 22 2002 - 00:11:37 CDT