problems connecting to Oracle 8i through ASP

From: <mikehine_at_shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 20:42:30 GMT

Hi
I am having problems connecting to an oracle 8i db through an asp page. The db resides on the same machine as the web server. This is a test box I am using so everything is done locally. I have created a net8 connection in Net8Assistant that works correctly. The net service name is: LocalWW and the service identification service name is wwtest.home.com. This connection works using system/manager uname/pw combination. I am able to connect through sql plus and query tables successfully.

Additionally I set up two different System DSNs. One is called:

OracleDSN and it uses the MS ODBC driver for Oracle.

The second is called:

MerantOracleDSN and it uses a Merant driver for Oracle. I can successfully test the Merant DSN...it connects to the wwtest db instance. I saw no way to test the MS - based DSN.

Inside my ASP page, I have tried the following:

set objConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection") objconn.open "DSN=MerantOracleDSN;" & _

"Uid=system;" & _
"Pwd=manager;"

This returns the following error:

Error Type:
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005) [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified

Similarly I tried:

set objConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection") objconn.open "DSN=OracleDSN;" & _

"Uid=system;" & _
"Pwd=manager;"

and get the same error.

I have also tried the non-DSN approach. For example, I have tried:

set objConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection") objconn.open "Provider=MSDAORA.1;Data Source=LocalWW;User ID=system; Password=manager;"

and get the following error

Error Type:
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Oracle (0x80004005) Oracle error occurred, but error message could not be retrieved from Oracle.

I have also tried replacing LocalWW with wwtest and also with wwtest.home.com. All return the same error message as above. I have tried replacing the MSDAORA.1 with MSDAORA with no luck. I know I am missing something straightforward since I had this working on this machine several months ago and also have a similar configuration working on another machine.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Mike: Received on Tue May 21 2002 - 15:42:30 CDT