Re: Perl vs PL/SQL?

From: Chris Weiss <chris_at_hpdbe.com>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 15:46:53 -0400

The performance impact of using embedded SQL is substantial in OLTP systems with queries that have a short run time. For longer queries, the performance loss becomes less significant.

Using an interface to SQL*PLUS has several issues:

Stored procedures, functions, and packages provide several advantages over any other interface. Please see the whitepaper at www.hpdbe.com.

Each language should do what it does well. Using Perl to parse and separate data from columns is more efficient than doing so in Oracle. Both languages are slow when it comes to floating point operations, but Perl is definitely faster. Perl is better for sorting small record sets, for regular expression processing, for interfacing with files, and for interfacing with other processes. PL/SQL is better for all direct interactions with the database.

Good Luck!

--
Chris Weiss