Re: HELP: How do I get started???

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 16:00:47 GMT

Brian Leach wrote:

> I have developed a web application (using Java servlets) that uses MS SQL
> Server, and I want to add support for Oracle as well. I currently require
> my customers to be responsible for the database purchase, license, and
> installation.
>
> I called Oracle to ask for help on how to get started, and they recommended
> that I become a developer partner (about $2000). It seems to me that if I
> were to buy a personal edition of Oracle, it would only cost about $400 and
> I would get the two things I need: an Oracle DB to test with, and a JDBC
> driver that lets my Java code connect to the database.
>
> The rep at Oracle wasn't sure if the idea made sense; she promised she would
> call me back but I haven't heard from her.
>
> So here's my situation and question:
>
> - I am a single developer developing a Java servlet-based web application.
> - I want to port it to Oracle. I think I only need the database and a
> driver to test with.
> - My customer will be responsible for buying Oracle; I'd rather not be a
> reseller if I don't have to.
>
> What is the most inexpensive way for me to get this done? Do I need to join
> the partner program? Do I need to become a reseller? Or, can I just buy
> the eprsonal edition and do the port and be done?
>
> Thanks,
>
> ---
> Brian Leach
> brian_at_leach.com

Oracle is not a Microsoft product sold by a different company. There are many significant differences (and I'm not just talking about syntax) that make what you are proposing to do far more complex than you seem to appreciate.

I would suggest that you start by studying Oracle's architecture especially as it related to multiversioning, transactions, locking, and the use of temp tables. Then go to http://store.oracle.com and purchase the Enterprise Edition CD Pack. After you have something that works, get the appropriate license for demonstration and testing purposes so that you are legal.

Daniel Morgan Received on Mon May 20 2002 - 11:00:47 CDT