HELP: How do I get started???

From: Brian Leach <brian_at_leach.com>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 11:12:18 -0400

I have developed a web application (using Java servlets) that uses MS SQL Server, and I want to add support for Oracle as well. I currently require my customers to be responsible for the database purchase, license, and installation.

I called Oracle to ask for help on how to get started, and they recommended that I become a developer partner (about $2000). It seems to me that if I were to buy a personal edition of Oracle, it would only cost about $400 and I would get the two things I need: an Oracle DB to test with, and a JDBC driver that lets my Java code connect to the database.

The rep at Oracle wasn't sure if the idea made sense; she promised she would call me back but I haven't heard from her.

So here's my situation and question:

What is the most inexpensive way for me to get this done? Do I need to join the partner program? Do I need to become a reseller? Or, can I just buy the eprsonal edition and do the port and be done?

Thanks,

---
Brian Leach
brian_at_leach.com