ODBC error from Access front-end to 8.1.7 Oracle db

From: ba <bricklen_at_NOSPAMyahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 05:56:50 GMT

Hi, anyone come across this sort of problem before?

I have an Oracle db on a remote server. I have the Oracle client installed on my home computer. I can connect fine from sql*plus to the remote server and tnsping it as well. When I set up the ODBC connection, using the Oracle (8.1.7.6) driver, the connection test works fine.

What I am trying to do is connect via odbc from ms access to the Oracle server. The error I get is:

[Oracle][ODBC][Ora]ORA-12541: TNS:no listener (#12541) [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed (#0)

Any ideas? (as mentioned, every other way of connecting that I can think of is working, and the listener is running on the remote machine). I can also ssh into the remote box without any problems.

We are running a firewall at the remote site, and this may be part (or all) of the problem as I can do the exact same thing from behind the firewall that I need to do (I am using a Windows 2000 Advanced Server box from behind the server, with the same configuration as what I am running at home, so I don't think that that is the problem).

Anyone have any ideas what else I should try?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cheers,

Bricklen Received on Mon May 20 2002 - 00:56:50 CDT