Re: MySQL to Oracle Migration

From: Priyesh Patel <priyesh_at_mercurie.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 18:56:38 +0100

If the number of tables is small then I would just knock up the scripts to create them or use DBA studio. For databases with large number of tables, I would knock up a small C program to generate the table creation scripts.

I have no experience with MySQL but I assume you can extract the data into files using sql as a minimum. Use unix (eg. linux) to knock up some shell scripts to format them.

Use sqlldr to load the data into Oracle. You need to specify control scripts but these are reasonable straight forward to create.

If there are such things as db procs then the code will need to be converted to PL/SQL. I would not trust
any automated conversions and I am not sure if any would be available to do this anyway.

In my experience, the best tool to do this kind of thing is unix (eg. linux) because of the scripting capabilities. Any tool or utility you use to carry out migrations will take time to get familiarity with and have it's quirks.

Regards
Priyesh
Mercurie IT
www.mercurie.co.uk