Re: Normalization, Natural Keys, Surrogate Keys

From: drop the numbers <123tiseo.paul_at_123mayo.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 20:36:19 GMT

In article <3CE3E1C2.7DAD_at_assist.org>, larry_at_assist.org says...
> I'm not so sure what "efficient normalization" means.
> In fact, it sounds like an oxymoron. Since normalization
> involves decomposing tables and therefore requires more
> joins to query the data, a normalized database is less
> efficient, but the loss of efficiency is the price you
> pay for reducing data anomalies.

        Has anyone ever run a benchmark on current, modern databases to see how one or more JOINs affects the performance of CRUD actions in the engine with respect to the same action on tables fully denormalized?

(Any opinions expressed are strictly mine only and not my employer's)

Paul Tiseo, Intermediate Systems Programmer Reply To: 123tiseo.paul_at_123mayo.edu (drop the numbers) Received on Thu May 16 2002 - 15:36:19 CDT