Re: Sotirng data in row versus storing the same in column

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 17:40:20 +0200

On Thu, 16 May 2002 19:11:00 +0530, Arijit Mukherjee <arijit_at_lucent.com> wrote:

>All,
> I am unaware of the advantages and disadvantages of storing huge lot
>of data in rows or columns.
> The number of columns in tables could grow to a large value -
>somewhere around 600 or more. However, this is not necessarily the only
>reason why there will be lots of data if we store the data in row format
>- as even storing data in column format will result in quite a lot of
>rows.
> So, I want to know - is there a sort of benchmarking information
>that could help in understanding which way of storage would be best - so
>far as performance is concerned?
> Please note we will be using indexing in either case to improve
>database response time.
> Thanks in anticipation,
>Regards,
>Arijit

I think you should start of with designing a proper datamodel. From your remarks above it looks like you didn't do that, and are preparing to store just a big mess.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Thu May 16 2002 - 10:40:20 CDT