Sotirng data in row versus storing the same in column

From: Arijit Mukherjee <arijit_at_lucent.com>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 19:11:00 +0530

All,

   I am unaware of the advantages and disadvantages of storing huge lot of data in rows or columns.

   The number of columns in tables could grow to a large value - somewhere around 600 or more. However, this is not necessarily the only reason why there will be lots of data if we store the data in row format - as even storing data in column format will result in quite a lot of rows.

    So, I want to know - is there a sort of benchmarking information that could help in understanding which way of storage would be best - so far as performance is concerned?

    Please note we will be using indexing in either case to improve database response time.

   Thanks in anticipation,
Regards,
Arijit Received on Thu May 16 2002 - 08:41:00 CDT