Re: Detailed information about "Transparent Gateway" please

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 16 May 2002 06:00:00 -0700

willjamu_at_mindspring.com (James Williams) wrote in message news:<3ce2e4ff.83083240_at_nntp.mindspring.com>...
> On Wed, 15 May 2002 22:04:43 GMT, "Hossein Abolghasem"
> <habolgha_at_stfx.ca> wrote:
>
> You need to go download the Gateway manual from Metalink or probably
> also OTN.
>
> For instance, I have in the past installed and supported Oracle
> transparent Gateway for DB2 on OS/390. It installs on OS/390 as a DB2
> application that happens to also speak Oracle. Then there is a SQLNET
> process on OS/390 that passes data over hosts via TCP/IP or SNA LU6.2
> to other sqlnets on UNIX or NT back to a database.
>
> To communicate on Oracle you create a dblink and then using a synonym
> to hide the user.
>
> For instance.
>
> select count(*) from db2prefx.table_at_db2x
>
> create synonym table for db2prefx.table_at_db2x;
>
> select count(*) from table.
>
> From the Oracle side its just another table.
>

> Works good but can be expensive on CPU cycles.
>

> >Hi There,
> >
> >I would highly appreciate it if some one provide me with more
> >detailed information about "Transparent Gateways". I have done
> >a lot of research on this but found no comprehensive information
> >about how it works.
> >
> >Thanks
> >
> >Hossein

Hossein, I agree finding detailed information on the Transparent Gateways is difficult because I did not have much luck when I tried to look into them. What I did find is that the Transparent Gateways are built on top of heterogeneous services, which is sometimes called generic connectivity, and that generic connectivity is included as part of with all 8.1+ EE rdbms.

Basically generic connectivity allows you to set up an Oracle database link to a remote non-Oracle database using an ODBC driver written to run on the database server platform. The ODBC drivers are not included with Oracle (except maybe on NT for MS-SQLserver) so there is a cost to buy the ODBC driver. But I have managed to successfully insert and read SQLserver from Oracle on AIX. Now if only development will buy the solution.

If this might meet your needs then you may want to read metalink documents: Note 115098.1 and 115992.1 The AIX ODBC driver I tested was from Data Direct.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Thu May 16 2002 - 08:00:00 CDT