Re: Backup an ORACLE database

From: Steve Holdoway <steve_at_itemfront.ltd.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 08:30:56 +0200

Most commercial backup systems offer extensions to back up an Oracle database. Those I have used are NetBackup, Legato, Omniback and BackupExec. All work fine.

Otherwise, you can back it up manually. Options range from shutting down the database, and exporting the contents, upwards.

Online backups ( usually...? ) require that the database is in Archive Log mode, but if you're shutting down the database to perform the backup, this isn't necessary.

HTH, Steve