Re: Hot Backup

From: Chuck <chuckh_nospam_at_softhome.net>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 13:23:34 -0400

Changing a block that has already been backed up. When you restore that file, you corrupt it.

If you try to restore a database that was open and being changed when it was backed up, the datafiles will not all be on the same system change number and you'll leave a mess for yourself to clean up, if it can be cleaned up at all.

Here is what Oracle says about inconsistent backups. SCN stands for "system change number".

Inconsistent Backups

An inconsistent backup s a backup in which all read-write datafiles and control files have not been checkpointed with respect to the same SCN. For example, one read-write datafile header may contain an SCN of 100 while others contain an SCN of 95. Oracle cannot open the database until these SCNs are consistent, that is, until all changes recorded in the online redo logs have been made to the datafiles.

If your database must be up and running 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, then you have no choice but to perform inconsistent backups of a whole database. For example, a backup of an offline tablespace in an open database is inconsistent with other tablespaces because portions of the database are being modified and written to disk while the backup of the tablespace is progressing. The datafile headers for the online and offline datafiles may contain inconsistent SCNs. You must run your database in ARCHIVELOG mode to make open backups.

If you run the database in ARCHIVELOG mode, then you can construct a whole database backup using backups of datafiles taken at different times. For example, if your database contains seven tablespaces, and you back up the control file as well as a different tablespace each night, in a week you will back up all tablespaces in the database as well as the control file. You can consider this backup as a whole database backup.