Re: linking dbases on same machine

From: Marc Blum <marc_at_marcblum.de>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 18:29:26 GMT

Hi,

sorrily I missed the thread. I hope not to step on Daniels toes, but:

loopback via DB-link only works as long as your init-parameter GLOBAL_NAMES is set to FALSE. Set it to TRUE and you will get an ORA-02085 upon using the DB-link.

perhaps a bit pedantic...

On 8 May 2002 02:34:15 -0700, tim.bedford_at_ttplabtech.com (Tim) wrote:

>Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<3CD82F7D.F91305BD_at_exesolutions.com>...
>> TurkBear wrote:
>>
>> > Should work fine..
>> > Each instance is totally ignorant of where the any other is physically located,
>> > so, as long as the tnsnames.ora file on the server has the needed info, that type of db link is like any other...

>> > http://www.newsgroups.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
>> > -----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Ulimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers =-----
>>
>> It is even better than that.
>>
>> You can link an instance to itself. Just put another entry into the TNSNAMES.ORA. I do this in class to teach
>> students how to create database links on their own machine. Database links connect based on the tnsnames.ora entry.
>> They are not intelligent enough to know, or care, that what they connect to is themselves.
>>
>> Daniel Morgan
>
>Thanks very much, I never thought of thought, solves all kinds of problems.
>
>Tim

regards
Marc Blum
mailto:marc_at_marcblum.de