RE:RE:Display Problems During Installation

From: Robert Tilley <tilleyrw_at_cfl.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 16:31:23 GMT

I'm about to throw up my hands and yell "Enough!" as all my attempts to install Oracle 8.1.7 are fruitless. My system layout is simple and I can't understand the source of my problems.

I follow all of the instructions contained in the document detailing installation "Oracle 8i r3 Linux Install" located at
"http://jordan.fortwayne.com/oracle/817.html" and come to a dead stop in
the middle of the instructions.

I can add the groups oinstall, dba, and oper. I create the user oracle with oinstall as primary and dba and oper as secondary. I create the necessary directory structure (/u01, /u02, ...) and alter the file permissions as instructed.

The problem lies in dealing with X. When in comes to executing
"./runInstaller" my problems with the DISPLAY variable begin. Why only the
oracle user has this problem while any other user can execute
"./runInstaller" I don't know but when the installer begins, it no longer
does anything. Clicking any button causes the program to simply hang until a close-box or forced quit is performed.

I have decided to find and follow a verified source of instruction for the installation of Oracle 8.1.7.0. I hope that document located at
"http://www.alcidesmaya.com.br/docs/oracle/doc/a85344/a86017/pre.htm#1035845"
have been verified to work.

--
Information and comments are much appreciated.

Thank you, Robert