Re: Display Difficulties

From: Manuela Mueller <520040906697-0001_at_t-online.de>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 13:30:15 +0200

Robert Tilley wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Hope that helps, good luck with the install
> > Manuela Mueller
>
> The below is my testing of your recommendation:
>
> oracle_at_tillarium:/usr/src/Disk1$ ./runInstaller
> oracle_at_tillarium:/usr/src/Disk1$
> DISPLAY not set. Please set the DISPLAY and try again.
> : Operation not permitted
>
> oracle_at_tillarium:/usr/src/Disk1$ export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
> oracle_at_tillarium:/usr/src/Disk1$ echo $DISPLAY
> 127.0.0.1:0.0
> oracle_at_tillarium:/usr/src/Disk1$ ./runInstaller
> Initializing Java Virtual Machine from
> ../stage/Components/oracle.swd.jre/1.1.8/1/DataFiles/Expanded/linux/bin/jre.
> Please wait...
> oracle_at_tillarium:/usr/src/Disk1$ map failed
> map failed
> <SNIP -- Many iterations of the same message>
> map failed
> java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11 window server using
> '127.0.0.1:0.0' as the value of the DISPLAY variable.
> at sun.awt.motif.MToolkit.<init>(MToolkit.java:63)
> at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(Toolkit.java:394)
> at
>
> oracle.sysman.oii.oiif.oiifm.OiifmSplashScreen.getImage(OiifmSplashScreen.java:67)
>
> at
>
> oracle.sysman.oii.oiif.oiifm.OiifmSplashScreen.<init>(OiifmSplashScreen.java:45)
>
> at oracle.sysman.oii.oiic.OiicInstaller.main(OiicInstaller.java:418)
>
> oracle_at_tillarium:/usr/src/Disk1$ xhost +127.0.0.1
>
> oracle_at_tillarium:/usr/src/Disk1$ export DISPLAY=tillarium:0.0
> oracle_at_tillarium:/usr/src/Disk1$ echo $DISPLAY
> tillarium:0.0
> oracle_at_tillarium:/usr/src/Disk1$ ./runInstaller
> oracle_at_tillarium:/usr/src/Disk1$ Initializing Java Virtual Machine from
> ../stage/Components/oracle.swd.jre/1.1.8/1/DataFiles/Expanded/linux/bin/jre.
> Please wait...
> map failed
> <SNIP -- Again>
> map failed
>
> oracle_at_tillarium:/usr/src/Disk1$ java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to
> X11 window server using 'tillarium:0.0' as the value of the DISPLAY
> variable.
> at sun.awt.motif.MToolkit.<init>(MToolkit.java:63)
> at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(Toolkit.java:394)
> at
>
> oracle.sysman.oii.oiif.oiifm.OiifmSplashScreen.getImage(OiifmSplashScreen.java:67)
>
> at
>
> oracle.sysman.oii.oiif.oiifm.OiifmSplashScreen.<init>(OiifmSplashScreen.java:45)
>
> at oracle.sysman.oii.oiic.OiicInstaller.main(OiicInstaller.java:418)
>
> I'm clueless as to what to do now. For some reason no other user on my
> system is so affected. I can use the account "tilleyrw" to install Oracle
> with no difficulties, but I am reluctant to do so because of the various
> file permissions which should belong to the user "oracle".
>
> I hope someone has insight into this situation.
> --
> Information and comments are much appreciated.

Hello Robert,
you find me clueless to, got the impression we are talking about different problems.
We started about setting a necessary environmental variable, no we are talking about file permissions and different user accounts. <cite>
> I'm clueless as to what to do now. For some reason no other user on my
> system is so affected. I can use the account "tilleyrw" to install Oracle
> with no difficulties, but I am reluctant to do so because of the various
> file permissions which should belong to the user "oracle".
</cite>
Perhaps you have a problem with improper file permissions. Do you try to install as another linux-user?
What goup does this user belon to? What linux user is the owner of the Oracle Software directory?
Maybe the following URL helps to track down the problem: http://www.alcidesmaya.com.br/docs/oracle/doc/a85344/a86017/pre.htm#1035845 (Sorry, OTN is very slow at the moment, so I included another reachable URL).
I assume you try to install Oracle 8.1.7, please post RDBMS-Version you are trying to install.
Also please post snippet of .profile with the settings regarding oracle. Right at the moment, there are too few informations to respond more accurately.

Regards
Manuela Mueller Received on Sun May 12 2002 - 06:30:15 CDT