Re: DISPLAY Problems During Installation

From: Manuela Mueller <520040906697-0001_at_t-online.de>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 17:39:06 +0200

Robert Tilley wrote:

> I have followed the instructions concerning Oracle installation on my
> Debian unstable box which are located at
> "jordan.fortwayne.com/oracle/817.html" and have encountered a problem.
>
> How can I convince my system to allow the oracle user to connect to the X
> server? When I try to use the installer from another user account, the
> installer program hangs at the first screen and will not advance.
>
> oracle_at_tillarium:/usr/src/Disk1$ ./runInstaller
> oracle_at_tillarium:/usr/src/Disk1$
> DISPLAY not set. Please set the DISPLAY and try again.
> : Operation not permitted
>
> oracle_at_tillarium:/usr/src/Disk1$ xhost +
> xhost: unable to open display ""
> oracle_at_tillarium:/usr/src/Disk1$ DISPLAY=local:0.0
> oracle_at_tillarium:/usr/src/Disk1$ echo $DISPLAY
> local:0.0
> oracle_at_tillarium:/usr/src/Disk1$ ./runInstaller
> oracle_at_tillarium:/usr/src/Disk1$
> DISPLAY not set. Please set the DISPLAY and try again.
> : Operation not permitted
>
> How can I install Oracle?
> --
> Information and comments are much appreciated.
>
> Thank you, Robert

Hello Robert,
1) on server (means where software is installed) put the following in .profile:
DISPLAY = worksstation_name:0.0
# eg DISPLAY = your_workstation_ip_address:0.0 # or if you are installing Oracle on the same machine, you can also use loopback device:
DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0 # export the freshly defined variable:
export DISPLAY

2) On session on your workstation: xhost +server_name eg: xhost +server OR xhost +ip_of_server

You achieved with xhost + that all clients have access to the X-Server, but you have not set the DISPLAY variable.

Hope that helps, good luck with the install Manuela Mueller Received on Sat May 11 2002 - 10:39:06 CDT