Re: SQL*Loader-625: Multibyte character error in control file ??????

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 18:04:57 GMT

Ron Reidy wrote:

> george lewycky wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm stuck trying to load my flat text delimited file into my
> > oracle table (code and sample record below).
> >
> > I've loaded tables before using the same procedure and format
> > but this time around I cant figure out whats causing this
> > multibyte error:
> > SQL*Loader-625: Multibyte character error in control file
> >
> > Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated
> >
> > thanks in advance
> >
> > george lewycky

> > create sql:
> >
> > CREATE TABLE TBAGMASTER
> > (
> > ORIG_SYSTEM_CUSTOMER_REF VARCHAR2(240) NOT NULL,
> > CUSTOMER_NAME VARCHAR2(50),
> > ADDRESS1 VARCHAR2(240),
> > ADDRESS2 VARCHAR2(240),
> > ADDRESS3 VARCHAR2(240),
> > ADDRESS4 VARCHAR2(240),
> > CITY VARCHAR2(60),
> > STATE VARCHAR2(60),
> > POSTAL_CODE VARCHAR2(60),
> > COUNTRY VARCHAR2(60),
> > INSERT_UPDATE_FLAG VARCHAR2(1) NOT NULL,
> > LAST_UPDATED_BY NUMBER(15) NOT NULL,
> > LAST_UPDATE_DATE DATE DEFAULT SYSDATE,
> > CREATED_BY NUMBER(15) NOT NULL,
> > CREATION_DATE DATE DEFAULT SYSDATE,
> > CUSTOMER_CATEGORY_CODE VARCHAR2(30)
> > );

> > sqlloader code:
> >
> > LOAD DATA
> > INFILE 'cust_apr30.txt&#8217;
> > INSERT INTO TABLE TBASMASTER
> > FIELDS TERMINATED BY '","'
> > (
> > ORIG_SYSTEM_CUSTOMER_REF,CUSTOMER_NAME,ADDRESS1,
> > ADDRESS2,ADDRESS3,ADDRESS4,CITY,STATE,
> > POSTAL_CODE,COUNTRY,INSERT_UPDATE_FLAG,
> > LAST_UPDATED_BY,
> > LAST_UPDATE_DATE,
> > CREATED_BY,CREATION_DATE,CUSTOMER_CATEGORY_CODE
> > )

> > sample record from the data being loaded:
> >
> > 6277","SOUTHERN COACH MFG. CO. ","P. O. BOX 360028 ","
> > "," ","
> > ","BIRMINGHAM
> > ","AL","35236","USA","I","37375","0","37375","A","CUSTOMER","
> You probably have a control character in you .ctl file.
> --
> Ron Reidy
> Oracle DBA

By which I think Ron means an unprintable ASCII character that is being interpreted as a single multi-byte character. Open the load file in a text editor such as Notepad and then resave it and try again. Otherwise see if anyone has an editor you can use to examine the record and examine the record position by position.

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri May 10 2002 - 13:04:57 CDT