Re: Oracle licensing term "named user"

From: Mark <mark_at_umpuffa.com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 10:27:08 +0200

>What exactly is a "named user"?

That depends a lot on your contract. Oracle had various definitions of a Named User in the past years and in the old days they even allowed 'custom' definitions. So you should start to check you definition. Currently their definition is:
"A Named Users is defined as an individual authorized by you to use the programs that are installed on a single server or multiple servers, regardless of whether the individual is actively using the programs at any given time. A non-human operated device will be counted as a Named User in addition to all individuals authorized to use the programs, if such device can access the programs. If multiplexing hardware or software (e.g., a TP monitor or a web server product) is used, this number must be measured at the multiplexing front end."

This means that either it is an individual or, in cases of process triggers (like heat sensors and PLC's) which are not operated by humans, the device should be counted.

> Would each noninternal-Oracle process in the v$session view be a named
user?
No (see definition above)

> Would the use of MTS affect the way that we count our named users?
In principle Oracle will not favor any type of architecture / or hardware (If they do so the press will criticize them heavily). So what ever architecture you use (1 tier - x tier) and what ever communication means you use, in principle this should not effect the licensing of the database.
> What about other forms of connection pooling?
Should not effect the licensing.

If you now take your application (and assume you have the latest definition of a named user) you have to look at who could access the programs (via whatever Oracle user ID). That are all individuals who can access the web based maps. (potentially a large population).

There I would advise to discuss migrating your licenses to a processor license (much simpler and you do not have all the long discussions with your sales rep on individuals)

Good luck,

Mark

Mark_at_umpuffa.com