Re: Oracle licensing term "named user"

From: Frank <fbortel_at_home.nl>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 14:10:42 +0200

Niall Litchfield wrote:

> "Frank" <fbortel_at_home.nl> wrote in message news:3CD98CA0.3090206_at_home.nl...
>

>>I'm not sure Oracle still applies this schema - I was getting used to
>>it when the Oracle rep I regulary speak announced it would be changed.
>>Again. This schema was about 2 month in effect then.
>>

> Nope. It is per processor now period. The problem with the UPU was when you
> replaced your db server hardware after say 3 years with processors at twice
> the speed. your license cost doubled for no business benefit.

So Oracle changed it indeed - as I was afraid of.

>>Anyway, a named user can always be identified; it's a person, with
>>her/his own schema in the database.
>>

> No. It is a named client connecting to the database. They can all connect as
> the same schema.

OK - there is a difference in that. I have always understood this part of the licence policy as "it must be a natural person; someone you can uniquely identify".
Which obviously does not hold true in a web environment, for which another (I am not fully aware of, as it turns out) licencing scheme was invented.

BTW have you noticed the stock value of Oracle lately? Would that have anything to do with it? Doubt it (no, not really).

Frank Received on Thu May 09 2002 - 07:10:42 CDT