Re: ORACLE_HOME for upgrade

From: Anton Buijs <aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 00:18:59 +0200

I'am a little bit confused here. Suppose you are talking about Oracle on a Unix machine (although next applies for Windows NT/2K too). Never never never install a release in the same home as another release (release = defined as a version that Oracle releases as a complete set of CD's). Only install bugfixes or patches (like V8.1.7 patch 3) in the appropriate home (like /oracle/product/8.1.7).

A value "/oracle/SID" for ORACLE_HOME is one I would never choose. And should SID be replaced with a real value for a SID? Or is it really the string "SID"?
Also V8.0.6 is about 400 - 500 Mb on my HP-UX or Sun Solaris boxes. Are the databases files in that directory structure too? Better move them to another place before removing the directory. My policy is to never add files of myself under the ORACLE_HOME (except mayby for the trivial ones like init.ora and Net8 configuration but even for those there are other locations possible).
V8.1.7 indead requires about 1.5 Gb disk space, depending on the options you install and if it is standard or enterprise edition. Can not imagine that the upgrade doc for 8.1.7 proposes /oracle/SID/817_64 as the new home.
Could it be the case that variable ORACLE_BASE = /oracle/SID. That could explain a lot.

All Oracle Installation Guides for Unix platforms describe the socalled OFA standard (Optimal Flexible Architecture) and I suggest you examine that to structure your installation properly.

Vince Laurent <vlaurent_at_NOSPAMPLEASE.networkusa.net> schreef in berichtnieuws u55jduk583unicbra8r47ou2mo6rihndnp_at_4ax.com...