Re: Oracle licensing term "named user"

From: Vince Laurent <vlaurent_at_NOSPAMPLEASE.networkusa.net>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 13:57:15 -0500

Lol - we had a meeting with Gartner the other day. We are a hospital corporation so since all the patient data goes into an Oracle DB Oracle recommending an unlimited/enterprise license for us. Gartner said "Oracle is crazy" and told us to sit tight on licensing until all this "named users" stuff clears.

DON'T let Oracle do an audit. They will offer to do one for free. They are pulling a Microsoft/BSA tactic into scaring people into upgrading the licenses for more than they actaully use.

Disclaimer: I am not a decision maker at my company. I am just passing what I hear. None of what I say should be taken as legal advice. Blah....blah... blah...

p.s. Since MS played hardball on us with our desktop and office licenses (ie threatened a BSA audit) we are moving many folks to a Linux desktop. Talk about a saving!