Select help -- distinguishing between identical names

From: D. Alvarado <laredotornado_at_zipmail.com>
Date: 8 May 2002 08:06:50 -0700

Hello,

   I am using Oracle 8.1.7 for Solaris. I have a table with the following structure ...

DISTRICT_NAME          DISTRICT_ID

------------- -----------
Austin 30 Laredo 18 Wylie 28 Wylie 14

I would like to write a select statement that returns all the district names so that each is unambiguous. So a statement like "SELECT DISTRICT_NAME FROM DISTRICT_TABLE" would return

DISTRICT_NAME

Austin
Laredo
Wylie
Wylie

which is ambiguous (Wylie is there twice). I would prefer a query that did something of the following...

DISTRICT_NAME

Austin
Laredo
Wylie (ID: 28)
Wylie (ID: 14)

Any ideas, Thanks, Dave Received on Wed May 08 2002 - 10:06:50 CDT