Re: login Oracle 9i got Ora-01041 error on Window 2000 Advanced Server

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 8 May 2002 03:57:59 -0700

kenny_60559_at_yahoo.com (KENNY L. CHEN) wrote in message news:<83f59352.0205072155.1a5c9cf2_at_posting.google.com>...
> Dear Oracle experts,
>
> I login as local Administrator to install Oracle 9i on Windows 2000
> SP2 Advanced Server (a memeber server). The installation is fine.
> I can also connect to Oracle 9i with following commands:
>
> sqlplus "/ as sysdba"
> sqlplus "sys/change_on_install as sysdba"
>
> After installation, I add my domain account in both Administrators and
> ORA_DBA group. Then I login this server with my domain account and
> executed the same
> commands as shown above, the error message "ORA-01041 internal error.
> hostdef extension doesn't exist" occured and I CAN'T log in the Oracle
> 9i Database.
>
> What I want is to manage the Oracle 9i database on this machince with
> my domain account. Did I miss something or Did I do wrong ???
>
> Any idea ??
>
> Ken

What I want is to manage the Oracle 9i database on this machince with my domain account.

Why? You will need remote_os_authent=true in init<sid>.ora and thus you will compromise security.
You should set remote_login_password_file to exclusive in init<sid>.ora
and grant any oracle account sysdba privilege, so you will get privileged access
with your account *and* password from *anywhere* Also setting up os-authentication requires prefixing the account name with the domain name, as *of course* is described in your platform specific documentation. Please at least *try* to read and understand it.
Also, please don't multipost, you're wasting bandwith and you won't get better response, on the contrary you are wasting other's people's time, as they won't see the other replys.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Wed May 08 2002 - 05:57:59 CDT