Re: Urgent:Cannot increase maxusers value on HP-UX

From: <blh_at_atl.hp.com>
Date: 8 May 2002 01:37:17 GMT

In comp.sys.hp.hpux Juha Laiho <Juha.Laiho_at_iki.fi> wrote:
> violin.hsiao_at_mail.pouchen.com.tw (Violin) said:

>>We're running Oracle 8.1.7 on HP-UX 11.0.

>>ORA-27041: unable to open file
>>HP-UX Error: 23: File table overflow
>>
>>We got HP-UX Error:23:File table overflow before,and tried to resolve
>>this by increase maxusers value.

  Not a good method.

> ... but increasing maxusers any further resulted in value of msgseg
> exceeding the maximum of 32767.

  Too many parameters have a formula rather than a fixed value. The   formula is supposed to represent all systems but in reality, many   parameter are WAY TOO LARGE when maxusers is increased.

> Do something that just increases the "nfile" value -- f.ex. add
> a multiplier to the nfile formula. With that kind of initial value,
> just doubling it will be fine. You might consider doubling ninode
> at the same time; I recall the two might be related.

  Don't use the formula values for nfile, nproc or ninode. maxusers   assumes that 'real' users are logging on and starting shells and   editing files, which is very different than 500 clients connecting   to Oracle through network sockets.

  Use sar -v 1 in order to see the nfile and nproc value. Double it   when the occupied value approaches 80%. ninode only applies to   HFS filesystem (/stand is the only standard HFS filesystem) and   should be about 1000 or so.

--

Bill 'shortsig' Hassell, HP Remote Engineering Services