Re: DML Needed: Flag Duplicate Records....

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 23:19:30 GMT

R Chin wrote:

> Thanks, Sybrand,
> But this is a dev issue...
> I am loading data from outside, the feed is full of crap, I have several
> "filters" to cleanse them out....one of them being removing dupes
> before the next process...
>
> Now user want to see the data BEFORE the scrub, so I have to flag them and
> make note of.
>
> I should have saved the SQL to do this when I saw it before....
> rob
>
> Sybrand Bakker wrote in message ...
> No
> >You just need to set up a primary or unique key with an exceptions
> >table associated to it, and that is it.
> >But I have the strange feeling you are dealing with a self-grown mess
> >and you should better stop symptom-fighting asap.
> >
> >Regards
> >

> >Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
> >
> >To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address

All data feeds are dirty. They don't come any other way. And if anyone claims they have a clean one I suggest they document it for the history books.

Load the data into a staging table that has no constraints. Then move the clean data into the application tables and flag those records that have problems with an issue code so that you can send them back upstream to be fixed.

I'm with Sybrand on this one. Stop symptom fighting and deal with the problem at its source.

Daniel Morgan Received on Mon May 06 2002 - 18:19:30 CDT