Re: Urgent:Cannot increase maxusers value on HP-UX

From: Doug Freyubrger <dfreybur_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 6 May 2002 11:59:22 -0700

Violin wrote:

> We're running Oracle 8.1.7 on HP-UX 11.0.
> Today there are too many connections,so the database instance crushed.
> HP-UX Error: 23: File table overflow
>
> We got HP-UX Error:23:File table overflow before,and tried to resolve
> this by increase maxusers value.
>
> The value of maxusers now is 250, but today when I increase the value
> over than
> 251 , I got the error message in sam monitor:
> The parameter modification(s) you have made have resulted in at
> least one parameter evaluating to a value which is greater
> than its maximum allowable value. Parameter "msgseg", currently
> set to "(MSGTQL*4)", has evaluated to "32800",which is greater
> than its maximum allowable value of "32767".

I recently had to tune an HP-UX 11i server in 2 or 3 steps because of similar limits. Look at the value for maxusers. Is it a formula? If so start by modifying what it points to. Look at all of the other values one by one. Look for any that are formulas that use maxusers (there will be several). You will need to change those first, or at the same time.

I selected some that were a formula based on maxusers, discovered their max allowed values, set them to those values numerically so they were no longer formulas based on maxusers, then changed maxusers. Received on Mon May 06 2002 - 13:59:22 CDT