Re: Insert /* +append */ always ?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 18:22:01 +0100

I guess it's probably worth flagging the point that any beneftis you get from the APPEND hint related only to the table, and not to any indexes on the table.

Oracle can "cheat" on tables by using blocks above the HWM for the table to hold the new data, but it has to put the index entries into the correct index leaf blocks - so these changes have to be undo-able in the normal fashion.

--
Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Author of:

Next Seminar - Australia - July/August

Host to The Co-Operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Thomas Kyte wrote in message ...

>In article <ud8onhkf0meg1d_at_corp.supernews.com>, "Steve says...
>>
>>No.
>>The append hint does not generate redo log information.
>
>Sure it does! It is 100% safe. It is "undo" that it skips. It'll skip
REDO if